Thursday, June 9, 2011

Frame a Picture | Preserve a Memory

While preparing for the girls arrival I was very excited to dive into decorating their nursery. Mardell did all of the painting, put the furniture together, and hung the chair rail and crown molding. That didn't leave me with much to do other than pick out the colors, bedding, and the wall decor. I found some paintings that matched the bedding for the wall by the window {wall #1}, I painted and hung their names above the cribs {check off another wall}, we hung a white shelf between the door and closet - above the book shelf {wall 3 down}... that left the big wall above the changing table.

This wall was so big and I was so indecisive about what to hang there. I bought several different mirrors that I thought might look good but never hung them. The girls arrived and the wall was still empty. After having pictures of the girls taken it finally hit me what I wanted to do {thank goodness I didn't hang the mirrors}. I decided this would be the perfect place to display the new pictures we had. Since the chair rail and crown molding were white I decided I wanted a wall of white frames... so the hunt began.

After searching every possible place in town for white frames and coming up with NOTHING I was feeling discouraged. My wise husband then pointed out that we could just spray paint the frames. While this sounded like a good idea I hated the thought of spending money on something that I was going to have to change... in comes my mother to save the day. While my sister and tends to tease her about her small hoarding problem I happen to appreciate it because it can come in handy!
Mom brought down three plastic tubs full of old frames she no longer wanted and I was able to dig my way through them. After laying out different frames of all shapes and sizes I finally had an idea of what I was wanting on the wall.
Mardell and I had fun spray painting the frames and picking out the pictures. Since I'm not really the most patient person Mardell took charge of the hanging portion of this project. I told him how far over, up or down I wanted the frame and he took care of the rest! I absolutely love how the wall turned out and love that I'm able to show off all of their amazing pictures!!!
Some of the frames are going to be moved because I don't like the spacing but I do love that I can add more frames as we get more pictures! 1+ months after the girls got here their nursery is complete! :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

ohhh my goodness... i absolutely LOVE what you all did with the frames. unbelievable. i will keep this in mind!! way to go!

Anonymous said...

Hoarding is a GOOD thing! You can tell by my classroom that I never throw anything away! =)